Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Shit, it's our anniversary

Don and I have been married twenty years. I've been unhappy more than I've been happy. It's been more miserable than joyous. I've been unhappy 60 to 70% of the time. It's been a crappy marriage. In twenty years I have not learned how to manage him; I have not learned how to change his mind when he's wrong; I have not learned how to deal with his tempers, his bad moods, his criticisms; I have not learned to communicate.

I guess I'd better learn. That's what I'm here for, isn't it? I chose him because he was like my Dad. I chose him so I could redeem my mother's marriage. My mother was miserable, too. But at least in that case, Dad made a ton of money. He took care of her financially, he took her on trips around the world, and he cared for her in his own immature way.

Don cares for me in his own immature way, too. Unfortunately he's a complete loser when it comes to making a living.

No comments: