Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Sailing

I went sailing with Joe and his kid Lauren on Saturday. We went to Union Reservoir, a little reservoir up in Longmont. It's not nearly as pretty or as large as Boulder Reservoir. It was kinda crowded but apparently gets even more crowded as the summer wears on. I had a nice time and didn't get burned – always a plus. I used to want to learn to sail due to the influence of a couple kids' books on the subject (Swallows and Amazons; We Didn't Mean to Go to Sea; Treasure Island -- all highly recommended BTW). I even took lessons a couple of summers ago (as faithful readers of this blog know) and mainly learned that with sail you have no control over your power source. You only manage it as best you can. At Boulder Rez the wind varies tremendously; sometimes there's almost nothing then it suddenly kicks up to be more than a beginner can handle. That was just too scary for me. I don't want to captain a vessel anymore. Being first mate or just able bodied seaman will do for me.

We had some nice private time in the evening, too. Don had gone to a friend's to watch Game 2 of the Stanley Cup, so when Joe called there was just me. I went over; we cuddled and played UpWords; very nice.

It's funny how people are -- we've gotten naked together, but he's still not really comfortable enough with me to fart in front of me. He said so. And I'm not comfortable enough with him to discuss the minutia of my day.

No comments: