Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Confession

So guess who talked to who today? Don, my husband of 18 years, talked to Joe, the man I was in love with two years ago. Don needed Acura advice for my sister's car and called Joe to get it. Don doesn't know anything about me and Joe. I told Joe things would stay that way.

I have no need for confession. I believe in my grandmother's advice, that while confession may be good for the soul it's bad for relationships. The last time I talked to Joe, a year ago now, I told him I wouldn't ever tell. I consider the whole thing to be a secret that belongs to the both of us, not just to me. Also, I was concerned about just this type of eventuality -- that the two of them would have contact through their work. I didn't want them to be uncomfortable in each other's presence.

I qualified my promise, though. I won't tell until I'm sixty. I reserve the right to say anything to anybody when I'm sixty. So when that year rolls around, maybe then I'll tell Don, "I kissed Joe the year my mother died." But I won't say anything till then.

Now perhaps Joe knows I've kept my word thus far.

2 comments:

The One said...

Daisy,
I have to agree. I don't necessarily have the life experience that you or your husband have (I'm a 19 year old student), but what happened in the past should stay in the past. Personally, I wouldn't even post it on a blog, because the Internet is a smaller place than you think. Always time to edit your post (make it more vague), and feel free to delete this comment too if you want. No hard feelings :)

If you get a chance, check out my blog, always looking for new insights in politics and life.

-Paul Santos

Daisy said...

Thanks for the comment, Paul. Your advice is good, too. Just so you know, though, I've altered names and locations so I don't get anyone - myself included - into trouble. :)