Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Olde Town Pickin' Parlor

I just had pretty close to the best night of my life. Top ten, anyway. I spent the evening at the Olde Town Pickin' Parlor in Arvada, Colorado, listening to folk, bluegrass and old-time western music.

There were an amazing variety of stringed instruments, some of which I'd never seen before; excellent music; top quality vocalists; etc etc. This particular event was a fund-raiser for one of their own, and many artists donated their skills. I loved them all. Jon Chandler was fantastic. Mary Huckins had me crying through most of her songs. The place was pretty packed when I got there but I managed to score a very good seat on the end of the second row where I had a very good view.

For the final song, all the musicians squeezed up on stage; audience and artists all raised our hands to heaven and sang a long and rousing rendition of "Let the Circle Be Unbroken." The whole thing was a ton of fun and a fantastic evening.

No comments: