Sunday, July 11, 2004

Lovely Day

Lovely morning. I awoke from a wonderful dream, all about being part of a fun and loving family. Then I had a delicious breakfast of fried mushrooms on toast with a scrambled egg and coffee which I ate on the back porch. Afterwards I sat there lazily, reading the paper and enjoying the sunshine. Suddenly the dead bird moved! The cat killed it two days ago and left its body on the lawn. Oh my god! It's still alive! Then I saw the snake. It had ahold of the body and was moving it across the lawn toward the bushes. It made quite a bit of progress before it hit a tough spot and gave up. I finished the job for it -- I picked up the remains and threw them in the bushes. Bon apetit, snake.

I watched The Virgin Suicides with Kendall. It gave me alot to think about -- the relationship of parents and teens, of girls and boys, and of grownups to each other and themselves. It's tough, all the worrying I do about my kids. I should just eash off, trust them a little. Except they might do something dumb! Something irrevocable. Emotional hurts and physical hurts can last for a very long time. Anyway, Kendall is a great kid. I'm glad I've got her for my daughter.

Every evening, when I sit on my bed for some quiet contemplation, I feel a happy fullness. My heart swells with gladness. I love this life, warts and all. I love being alive. I don't have all the answers. Hell, I don't have any answers at all, but I love being part of it all the same.

No comments: