Saturday, October 09, 2004

Dream

It's Friday night and I'm kicking around the house by myself. I decide to go out and find some company. I go up to campus and enter a building where clubs and groups hold their meetings, thinking I can probably find something fun going on in here. The building is a maze inside - narrow halls going this way and that. Here's a group that seems to be of elementary age children. I keep looking. Here's a room full of people doing something with sleeping bags. They all have red shirts on and are each in a gray sleeping bag. They are all lined up neatly, as if in formation. Now they change their formation and wiggle into a freer, looser pattern. Now they huddle up into a mound. They wriggle apart. Two of them have something unusual going on. Their sleeping bags are open. Their legs are spread. They are having a baby. I watch one more closely. The head emerges. It's a fully grown head. It has hair. It can speak. The woman looks very strange with a head sticking out of her. The rest emerges. Its small but fully grown. A bit later the "child" is brought over to me. I speak to it. Her, actually. She answers me, still feeling a bit shy from being so new and freshly born.

What did it all mean? I'm birthing adults, possibly referring to my children. They are teens now, not kids any longer. Notice how I reject the elementary age kids. It's not babies I had, really, it is adults. It's only for a little that they are babies, just long enough to trick us. For the rest of their life, they are adults. Am I explaining myself?

No comments: