Friday, October 15, 2004

Giving to Beggars

Today I gave a couple bucks to a guy begging at a stop light. He was a healthy-looking, cheerful guy, late twenties or early thirties, the perfect candidate for the question, "Why don't you get a job?" I didn't ask him though. I've decided I'm not going to worry about that kind of thing.

Maybe he was scamming me. Maybe he's going to spend the money on alcohol or drugs. Maybe he's in a tough spot that he'll get out of by next month or next year. Maybe his wife died and he just doesn't care any more. Maybe he's turned his back on the whole rat race and has embraced the Rainbow Family lifestyle.

I don't know the guy's situation. It's not the first time I've given to beggars and it won't be the last. The guy was begging on a street corner, for chrissake, and I gave him a couple bucks.

No comments: