Sunday, August 12, 2001

Day One - The First Pearl

Today was a gem. Dad and Mike picked me up from the Spokane airport. We stopped to say a prayer at the Cathedral of Our Lady of Lourdes, a place that my mother loved. A parisioner gave us a personal tour of the place. The stained glass windows are beautiful, made in Germany using a lost technology. They seem to glow.

My cousin Mike and I are like brother and sister, which is to say we argue. As we were driving up the interstate I was beginning to wish I hadn't come at all. Then we got to the farm and everything was all right. It is so peaceful there. Aunt Marg made us some iced tea. I reclined on the couch while Dad played the piano. It was a perfect moment and I told Aunt Marg so. Just then, Dad stopped playing, and Aunt Marg said, "They go by so quickly."

Later, Dad and I went up to the marina in Kettle Falls to see if there was any sailing. They rent houseboats there, but not sailboats. The houseboat guy let us spend about half an hour hanging about on one of the docked ones. We went up on top and looked out over Lake Roosevelt. A family was taking a houseboat out. It was nerve-wracking to watch as they tried to maneuver, but they did manage to get out of the harbor without smashing into anything.

No comments: